RE: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

My understanding of the current AISC Code of Standard Practice is that the
fabricator is not intended to do any "design" of connections but can only
"select" connections from AISC tables for framed beam connections based on
given beam reactions and then "detail" connections based on the tabulated
data. This is a departure from the previous east coast practice of allowing
the fabricator to "design" connections based on given loads. For example, I
am currently working on a steel building extension which is intended to be
similar to the original building design. The original design not only
referred to the AISC framed beam tables for beam connections but also gave
loads for diagonal bracing, with all connections to be designed by the
contractor/fabricator. Under my current design it does not appear that the
bracing connection design can be left up to the fabricator, if I follow the
current code of standard practice.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311