RE: Stainless Steel Bolts

ASCE 8-90, Table 6, provides nominal shear and tensile stresses for
stainless steel bolts. For allowable stress design, values are adjusted per
safety factors given in Appendix E and for phi=1.0. Allowables vary per the
type of finish on the bolt, but the minimum values for types 304/316
stainless steel are as follows:

Nominal shear stress (phi =0.65) = 33.7 ksi (threads in shear plane)
Nominal tensile stress (phi = 0.75) = 56.0 ksi

Using phi = 1.0 and a safety factor of 3.0:

Allowable shear stress = 17.2 ksi (threads in shear plane)
Allowable tensile stress = 24.9 ksi

For combined shear and tension: Ft' = 1.25 Ft - 2.4 fv <= Ft

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236