Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

Gail,

Part of the answer here is about timing and the procedures for writing the Uniform Building Code (UBC).  It starts (use to but no longer with the IBC) with the Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC) producing their seismic "Recommended Requirements" for inclusion in Chapter 16.  ICBO, which compiles and produces the UBC, reviews these recommendations and historically would accept most but not all of the them.  As example, the seismic ductility factor "R" was originally split into two components.  This part did not make it in the final UBC however probably about 99 percent of everything else did.  The proposed code language "Recommended Requirements" are then followed by a very extensive commentary.  For anyone doing seismic design per the UBC this commentary is a real must read.  The commentary is then followed by what I would call special topics such as a detail review and history of the near source factor, "R" factors, dynamic analysis, lessons learned from the Northridge earthquake, performance-based design, etc., etc.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com