Requirement for control joints in elevated slabs

I think that this may have been discussed before but I'll ask again.

Are control joints required for elevated slabs?

I have a structure with a 5" slab on 9/16" steel form deck on bar joists at 2'-0" to 2'-6" spacing.  The contractor tells me that there is "substantial shrinkage cracking and curling at the cracks".  I do not know the crack widths.  Is it customary to cut control joints for such slab construction?

Warren S. Foy, P.E.
Structural Design Manager
The Mason & Hanger Group Inc.

300 West Vine Street, Suite 1300