Re: SEAOC Blue Book (was Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY)

Paul:

1) Another "must read" is the 2000 NEHRP Provisions Commentary (FEMA 359).
This explains the 2000 NEHRP Provisions that have been largely incorporated
into the 2000 IBC and ASCE 7-02.  You can download it as a PDF file from
bssc.org.

2) The next edition of the SEAOC Blue Book is in the planning stages by the
SEAOC Seismology Committee.  You can find a tentative outline for by
drilling down at seaoc.org.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                      "Paul Feather"
                      <pfeather@SE-Soluti      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      ons.net>
                      12/10/02 08:50 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  SEAOC Blue Book (was Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY)

I will second Thomas' statements regarding the blue book being a "must
read" for anyone who is involved in seismic design.  The blue book
provisions and commentary have traditionally been a state of the art
discourse on seismic design.  Many of the leading concepts and
methodologies (base isolation, passive energy dissipation, performance
based design....) are discussed in detail and developed in subsequent
editions long before adoption or publication in the model codes.

I have always found the blue book to be a testament to the high standards
and professionalism of the volunteers and committee members of the
Structural Engineers Association of California, this publication alone is
worth the continued support and membership.

I must admit that though I have always maintained my membership in SEAOC, I
have not always given the time and commitment I should.  With all the
controversy and recent discourse regarding the seismology committee and
SEAOC (rho factors etc..), I for one would like to take a moment and simply
say "Thank You" to the members who do contribute so much to our profession.

I do not know the intended future of the blue book with the passing of the
UBC and the changes in the code process.  I would be interested to hear
from anyone more involved in the current organization if they would share
their views on whether the blue book will continue to be published and the
direction the publication may take.

Paul Feather PE, SE
pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
www.SE-Solutions.net