RE: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

Title: RE: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

>I think a lot of engineers get around this issue by including
>the following exclusionary language in the project specs:

>1.5 QUALITY ASSURANCE
>1. Codes and Standards:  Comply with provisions of the latest
>editions of the following, except as otherwise indicated:

>A. AISC Manual of Steel Construction - ninth edition (ASD) including
>the AISC "Code of Standard Practice for Steel Buildings and Bridges."
>except the following:
>a. Paragraph 4.2.1 of the above code is hereby modified by deletion
>of the following sentence: "This approval constitutes the owner's
>acceptance of all responsibility for the design adequacy of any
>connections designed by the fabricator as a part of this preparation
>of these shop drawings".

Ummmm. That language is from the old Code (1992 version). I think the acts of (and associated with) deleting that language are what helps to create the problems I described below. But times have changed. You should be using the 2000 edition of the AISC Code of Standard Practice. It has significantly modified that language you quoted. Check it out. I'ts a free download at

    http://www.aisc.org/

Charlie