Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY

Slightly off topic, but I have had experiences where the fabricator will bid the connections based upon how they want to build the building, not necessarily what is shown on the bid structural drawings.  Its a competative world for the steel fabricator, and they need whatever edge they think they can get, and not all fabricators will bid per plan (which doesn't necessarily make for a competative bid being apples to apples).  The General Contractor may not be concerned whether the steel subs are bidding per plan or not and leave it up to the winning steel fabricator to convince the structural engineer to accept there proposed changes, otherwise the steel fabricator has to absorb the cost changes if the structural engineer is not willing to make the changes.  To say the least,this can lead  to a hostile situation between the fabricator and SER since the fabricator does not want to have to absorb any additional costs.

Michael Cochran S.E.