Re: Testing for Anchor Bolt Embedment

Thomas,

        I have seen ultra sound used to determine plate thickness and weld quality.  The thickness measurements were quite accurate provided test calibration was carried out.  This might work for Anchor bolts but you would probably have to cast some test anchor bolts to calibrate the equipment.

        If you do this please let us know how it works.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

thunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com wrote:

I am reviewing the anchorage of a hospital emergency generator with 40 - 3/4 inch diameter cast-in-place anchor bolts but the drawings do not show the embedment depth.  Does anyone know of a field test to determine the embedment depth?  I am thinking there must be some type of sonic test that could measure the rebound and determine the bolt length.  Any ideas?

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting