From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 1:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Aeroplane Hanger

Fellow engineers,

        I have been asked to provide engineering services for the lifting of an aeroplane hanger roof by ten feet.  This sounds like the kind of interesting, tricky, challenging problem that I would like to take on.

        My question is: how would one proceed to physically do the work in the field, keeping in mind that not only must it be done but it must be done safely?

        The building is a pre engineered rigid frame steel building 120 feet square by about 18 feet high with tapered beams and columns.  There is a horizontal bolted joint between the columns and the beams.  It has five rigid frames including the doorway wall plus an end wall consisting of seven columns with beams running continuously over the top.  The door is sectional, moving sideways, and is supported on wheels running on tracks cast into the floor.  Building a taller door would also be required.  There are "lean-to" type structures on both sides which are lower than the main hanger roof and which appear to have been part of the pre engineered package.  The building is 25 plus years old and appears to be in excellent condition.

        Design wind for the area would be equivalent to a peak 85 mph gust and design ground snow load would be 20 psf.  Seismic is effectively 0.  Construction time would be Feb/Mar.

        One contractor's proposal (very preliminary, in fact discussion
only) is to secure the roof with cable or rod bracing against wind; use adjustable telescopic columns to support the roof; jack each column in sequence a few inches at a time until ten feet is achieved; insert prefabricated column sections into place and bolt it down; finally reinforce the frames for the new design loading (I know from past experience that pre engineered buildings have virtually no reserve strength so substantial reinforcement will be required).

        Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp