From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 11:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Aeroplane Hanger

Fellow engineers,

        I have been asked to provide engineering services for the
lifting of an aeroplane hanger roof by ten feet.  This sounds like the
kind of interesting, tricky, challenging problem that I would like to
take on.

        My question is: how would one proceed to physically do the work
in the field, keeping in mind that not only must it be done but it must
be done safely?

        The building is a pre engineered rigid frame steel building 120
feet square by about 18 feet high with tapered beams and columns.  There
is a horizontal bolted joint between the columns and the beams.  It has
five rigid frames including the doorway wall plus an end wall consisting
of seven columns with beams running continuously over the top.  The door
is sectional, moving sideways, and is supported on wheels running on
tracks cast into the floor.  Building a taller door would also be
required.  There are "lean-to" type structures on both sides which are
lower than the main hanger roof and which appear to have been part of
the pre engineered package.  The building is 25 plus years old and
appears to be in excellent condition.

        Design wind for the area would be equivalent to a peak 85 mph
gust and design ground snow load would be 20 psf.  Seismic is
effectively 0.  Construction time would be Feb/Mar.

        One contractor's proposal (very preliminary, in fact discussion
only) is to secure the roof with cable or rod bracing against wind; use
adjustable telescopic columns to support the roof; jack each column in
sequence a few inches at a time until ten feet is achieved; insert
prefabricated column sections into place and bolt it down; finally
reinforce the frames for the new design loading (I know from past
experience that pre engineered buildings have virtually no reserve
strength so substantial reinforcement will be required).

        Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.