Re: Requirement for control joints in elevated slabs.

Below please find several ACI documents that are helpful with
regards to this issue:

ACI 224   Control of Cracking in Concrete Structures
ACI 224.1 Causes, Evaluation and Repair of Cracks In Concrete Structures.
ACI 201.2 Guide to Durable Concrete
ACI 207.2 Effect of Restrain, Volume Change and Reinforcement on Cracking
of
Mass Concrete

Desi J. Kiss,PE
http://djkeng.tripod.com/

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:47:22 -0500 "Wayne E. Beckingham"
<wbeckingham(--nospam--at)stroudpence.com> writes:
> Warren,
>
> I have experienced such cracks due to shrinkage.  They typically
> occur at
> plan features that create a weakened plan (corners, changes in
> width, etc.)
> Cracks can also occur over stiff beams and girders in relation to
> joists.
> Rather than using control joints, we typically limit the pour size
> in SF and
> max dimension.
>
> Wayne Beckingham, P.E.
>
> >From: "Foy, Warren" <Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com>
> >To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> >Subject: Requirement for control joints in elevated slabs
> >Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:52:00 -0500
> >
> >I think that this may have been discussed before but I'll ask
> again.
> >
> >Are control joints required for elevated slabs?
> >
> >I have a structure with a 5" slab on 9/16" steel form deck on bar
> joists at
> >2'-0" to 2'-6" spacing.  The contractor tells me that there is
> "substantial
> >shrinkage cracking and curling at the cracks".  I do not know the
> crack
> >widths.  Is it customary to cut control joints for such slab
> construction?
> >

> >Warren S. Foy, P.E.
> >Structural Design Manager
> >The Mason & Hanger Group Inc.