From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 4:44 AM
Subject: Re: SEAOC Blue Book (was Re: CONNECTION DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY)

> Coming from an area of relatively low seismic risk, I
> have not pursued a lot of literature on the subject.
> This blue book looks interesting - how do I go about
> getting a copy and how much does it cost?
>
> On the same subject, I purchasd a US publication TM 5-
> 809-10 in the early seventies called "Seismic Design
> for Buildings" published by the Departments of the
> Army, the Navy and the Air Force in Apr 73.
> I thought it a practical guide and used it several
> times.  I was told it is out of publication.  Does
> anyone know if this correct or is there another similar
> document?
>

> On 10 Dec 2002 at 8:50, Paul Feather wrote:
>
> > I will second Thomas' statements regarding the blue book being a "must
read" for anyone who is involved in seismic design.  The blue book
provisions and commentary have traditionally been a state of the art
discourse on seismic design.  Many of the leading concepts and methodologies
(base
> isolation, passive energy dissipation, performance based design....) are
discussed in detail and developed in subsequent editions long before
adoption or publication in the model codes.

> > I have always found the blue book to be a testament to the high
standards and professionalism of the volunteers and committee members of the
Structural Engineers Association of California, this publication alone is
worth the continued support and membership.

> > I must admit that though I have always maintained my membership in
SEAOC, I have not always given the time and commitment I should.  With all
the controversy and recent discourse regarding the seismology committee and
SEAOC (rho factors etc..), I for one would like to take a moment and simply
> say "Thank You" to the members who do contribute so much to our
profession.

> > I do not know the intended future of the blue book with the passing of
the UBC and the changes in the code process.  I would be interested to hear
from anyone more involved in the current organization if they would share
their views on whether the blue book will continue to be published and the
> direction the publication may take.
> >
> > Paul Feather PE, SE
> > pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net
> > www.SE-Solutions.net

the Uniform Building Code (UBC).  It starts (use to but no longer with the
IBC) with the Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC)
producing their seismic "Recommended Requirements" for inclusion in Chapter
> 16.  ICBO, which compiles and produces the UBC, reviews these
recommendations and historically would accept most but not all of the them.
As example, the seismic ductility factor "R" was originally split into two
components.  This part did not make it in the final UBC however probably
about 99
> percent of everything else did.  The proposed code language "Recommended
Requirements" are then followed by a very extensive commentary.  For anyone
doing seismic design per the UBC this commentary is a real must read.  The
commentary is then followed by what I would call special topics such as a
> detail review and history of the near source factor, "R" factors, dynamic
analysis, lessons learned from the Northridge earthquake, performance-based
design, etc., etc.

THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com writes:

> >   The commentary to this section from the SEAOC "Recommended Lateral
Force Requirements and Commentary C108.2.2 reads "In some geographical
regions,

> >   I don't design steel and I don't live in California, so maybe I am
missing something, but how can you have "Recommended Requirements"?  Aren't
things usually either recommendations OR requirements?