From: John D. Rose [mailto:jrose36(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 1:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 2x4 stud walls in High Wind areas

 Contact Buddy Showalter at American Forest & Paper Assn./American Wood
Council (awcinfo(--nospam--at)afandpa.org) and ask for their 2001 Wood Frame Construction
Manual. This document has engineered and prescriptive design recs for wood
frame construction in high wind areas, including not only walls but also
roofs and connections of roof-wall-floors and to foundation.
John Rose
APA (retired)
Tacoma, WA

Nick Bingham wrote:
 I'm in 85mph exp C country and have a contractor wanting to build a home
with 2x4 at 16" oc walls, with 10' plate height. I have about 550 plf down
(DL plus snow). I can get close on the stress, but deflection is killing it,
especially with a stucco finish. I'm getting the usual, " The last engineer
I used had no problem with it". Contractors look table 23-IV-B in the '97
UBC and see that a 2x4 wall should go 10'  supporting one floor and the
roof. I realize that this table does not apply in high wind areas, which I
am in, and that it's the 85 mph wind that is killing the 2x4. I'm looking
for some input - have others found a way to get a 10' (plate to plate) 2x4
wall to figure?Thanks!Nick Bingham