Re: For Charlie Carter et al

Rob

Try the AISC Manual of Steel Construction Volume 2 Connections (under bracing) for analysis of the forces acting on the beam at the plate and on the column
connection, using the Uniform Force Method.  You might also try the AISC predecessor book "Engineering for Steel Construction" which goes into more detail
on the older methods of analysing these. There is also a book called Handbook of Struct Steel Connection Design and Details by Akbar Tamboli. It discusses
the old KISS method and the newer UFM. Also O. Blodgett's book "Design of Welded Structures" (chapter 6) published by Lincoln Electric has a method to
analyse the effect of a bracing force on the web of a member.  I hope these are able to help.

Gary Hodgson

On 13 Dec 2002 at 10:47, FLIER55(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> What is the best way to design/analyze the following horizontal bracing connection?
>
> I have a horizontal plate framing normally (welded) into the web of a W30x90 somewhere between the neutral axis and the top flange.  The brace (L3 1/2x3 1/2x 1/4) is bolted onto the underside of the plate and runs at an angle to the W30 web and is flat (no pitch).  The beam frames into the
flange of a column with the brace work point 6 in. from column center line.