Re: Interior Shear Wall

Yes, you're right. I have done it the way you explained in the past.  I was thinking of a problem with heavily loaded studs (high snow loading) supporting the deep end of a mono pitched (high sloped) truss where the height of the studs become detrimental to their capacity if the trusses are top chord bearing.  This did happen to me, but there weren't trusses both sides of the wall.

Joseph R. Grill, PE
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Interior Shear Wall

The problem then becomes a constructability issue.
They will not install trusses one side plywood then install the other.
Installing plywood afterwards requires 3x6 blocking top & bottom  assuming 2x4 chords.
I have found no contractor willing to do this correctly, plus it is labor intense.
The cost of the longer studs is much cheaper, cleaner and better for shear transfer.

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA