Weld shelf requirement

What is the weld "shelf" minimum dimension required for a fillet weld?  It is
my understanding that the fillet weld size plus 5/16" (cf: 1/4" fillet plus
5/16" equals a 9/16" total shelf required) is the minimum recommended shelf for
a fillet weld, but is that a requirement in the AWS or and other standard or
code?

Thank you.