From: utej(--nospam--at)attbi.com [mailto:utej(--nospam--at)attbi.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 2:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Weld shelf requirement

What is the weld "shelf" minimum dimension required for a fillet weld?  It is
my understanding that the fillet weld size plus 5/16" (cf: 1/4" fillet plus
5/16" equals a 9/16" total shelf required) is the minimum recommended shelf for
a fillet weld, but is that a requirement in the AWS or and other standard or
code?

Thank you.