Re: structural welding

Jason,

On a seismic retrofit of a 1890's era steel frame building, we found that
the steel metallurgy was different from modern steel and decided that,
rather than going through the AWS D1.1 qualification procedure to develop a
welding procedure specification for the project, to use slip-critical bolted
connections.

With steel that was not made to a modern standard, even if a good-looking
weld can be made, it may not have the strength that you expect.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net