RE: Concrete slab retrofit (fwd)

In a similar fashion, I once designed a steel frame above an existing
precast concrete roof to distribute the added loads as follows: Two steel
beams spanned parallel to the precast panels, such that the added loads were
delivered at about the 1/4-points of the span, as four point loads. This
significantly reduced the flexural loads on the existing precast. The steel
beams were set above the top of roofing so that there was no direct load
sharing with the concrete over the middle half of the span. But this does
require that the existing concrete have some excess capacity, just not as
much extra flexural capacity.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311