Re: Allowable horizontal deflection of column

> From: G Vishwanath <gvshwnth(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

> Sub: Allowable horizontal deflection of column.

> Use your judgement and discuss with the client if he
> is knowledgeable.
> Or else simply follow height/325 as the limit which I
> use and so far no one has asked me why.

Deflection limits are generally limited by two things:
1) strength/stability (e.g. second order effects)
2) function/service (e.g. attachments and crane operation)

> But this limit is too strict for pre engineered
> buildings.

I disagree strongly. There is no reason why a pre-eng building could not
be designed for any restriction you might place on any other steel
framed structure. After that, the issue becomes cost and engineering
capability.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International