Whitmore Section

A question for you steel gurus out there,

Page 7-114 of the AISC Connections Manual shows a sketch for an example using
the "Whitmore" section.  Consider a connection with the brace connecting to a
beam only (the column is gone).  I see the dimensions Lw, l2, and l1 remaining
the same.  The dimension l3 will increase in length from the corner of the
section until a line parallel to the brace intersects the beam flange.  Then
per the last paragraph on the previous page the column length would be the
average of l3 and l1 (l2 is negative in this case).  Would this be correct?

Thanks,
Joseph R. Grill, PE