RE: Whitmore Section

>Page 7-114 of the AISC Connections Manual shows
>a sketch for an example using the "Whitmore" section.
>Consider a connection with the brace connecting to a
>beam only (the column is gone).  I see the dimensions
>Lw, l2, and l1 remaining the same.  The dimension l3
>will increase in length from the corner of the
>section until a line parallel to the brace intersects
>the beam flange.  Then per the last paragraph on the
>average of l3 and l1 (l2 is negative in this case).
>Would this be correct?

The geometry of the buckling lengthe l1, l2 and l3 as you describe them
sound reasonable. You can use a negative value in determining the average
for the buckling check. It makes sense, because that means the gusset is
very stiff there -- the beam flange is restraining buckling.

Note also, however, the modification in the effective length factor for the
case of a gusset supported on one edge. We recommend 1.2 instead of the 0.5
used when both edges of the gusset are connected.

Charlie