Re: UBC 1997 - Non building structure - Section 1632.2 for A.bolt design

Ravi
Seismic design manual of buildings and bridges, by Alam Williams, has an
example on page 122 thru 124 that deals with equipment on slab on grade.
If you have the weight of the unit and the stiffness of its supporting
element, you can calcualte the period of the system based on  T= 2(Pi)
square root of (m/k)^.5.  if this yields a period greater than 0.06, then
equation 30-5 would govern.
HTH
Samir Y. Ghosn, PE
Harris & Associates