Re: just wondering: Who was Whitmore?

In a message dated 12/24/2002 11:47:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com writes:

> Cliff,
>
> According to A. Astaneh-Asl from the December 1998 "Steel Tips" Mr. R.E. Whitmore of the University of Tennessee performed some gusset plate testing with strain gages in 1952 and came up with the 30 degree lines which became known in the design community as the "Whitmore Method" or more commonly known as the "Whitmore Section".
>
> Thomas Hunt, S.E.
> ABS Consulting

Another example of Tennesseeans leading the way in science and technology.  LOL

Anybody got a small steel job to detail in their back pocket for this ole Tennessee boy?  Could be considered a "charitable contribution" for the tax man.  American detailers are hurting big time these days.

Rob Hale
Knoxville