RE: clip angles with tension

	I am not sure about your block shear question.  Unless I am missing
something, you should be able to check this condition using standard AISC
formulas.

	For the welds on the clips:

	Assume the welds to consist of lines.  Determine the Area of the welds per
thickness which is the length.  Determine the moment on the welds.  If the
resultant passes through the centroid of the welds, this will be zero.
However, if you are using the uniform force method for designing the
connection, it prob. will not.  Determine S for the welds as a function of
thickness (in^3/in thickness).  Determine the bending stress in the welds fb
= M/S.  This will give you stress/in of length.  Determine the normal stress
in the welds, fn = Prying Force/A, stress per inch.  Determine the shear
stress on the welds, fv = Shear/A, stress per inch.  Determine the resultant
force on the welds, which is sqrt((fb + fv)^2 + fn^2).  This will give you
the average stress per unit length of weld.  You can then determine the
throat thickness of the fillet weld.

	If you can get a copy of "Solutions to Design of Weldments" by the James F.
Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation this explanation may make more sense.  There
are a number of examples in the book as well as equations for determining
the properties of welds treated as lines.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.