RE: clip angles with tension

Brian,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, I do have a copy of that publication and dug
it out of "the archives" last night.  I pretty much answered my question about
the welds.  I was also able to find the answer to the other question about
block shear.  It was a reply from Charlie Carter to a thread titled "Single
Plate Connection of Collectors Procedure".  Basically, he says there is no
codified approach, but he would determine the thickness required for block
shear due to the shear loading, then determine the thickness required for
block shear due to the tension loading, then take the square root of the sum
of the squares to get the final thickness requirement.  At this point I'm not
as concerned (for various reasons)with prying (if any) with the connection,
but will continue looking in to it as I go along.

Thanks again,
Joseph R. Grill, PE