Gusset Weld at Brace Connection

I have been working on some brace connections and have been using the AISC
connections manual as a reference.

On page 7-166 under "weld stress" the author has compared fpeak/fave to 1.4.
The ratio was less than 1.4 therefore he multiplied the fave value by 1.4 and
used that result to determine the weld size.

Four questions.  Where did this 1.4 come from?  Is it the "Richard Factor"
mentioned on Page 7-123 and where did this Richard factor come from?  Also, if
the ratio would have been greater than 1.4 what would the author have done.
Was this guys name Richard Whitmore or were they two different people,
brothers or cousins?

Joseph R. Grill, PE.