RE: NDS- Nails

Roger Davis wrote:

. > The Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook by Keith Faherty and
. > Thomas Williamson has a list of recommendations from four different
. > sources which I have summarized and edited to be as follows:
. >         End distance = nail length
. >         Edge distance = 1/2 nail length
. >         Spacing in row = nail length

. > Roger C. Davis
. > Architect
. > SDS Architects, Inc.

I don't know how it compares, but I looked up some information yesterday in
an old edition of the Wood Handbook and Hansen's "Modern Timber Design" text
and, from memory:

>From FPL Wood Handbook:

   End Distance: Loaded end:  12 dia.
                 Unloaded end:   10 dia.
   Edge Distance: 10 dia.

>From Hansen's:

   To avoid splitting, nail diameter should be less than 1/7 thickness of
piece.

Several years ago, a colleague found some information on nail spacing, but I
never copied them down.  (Steve Hess:  Where are you?)

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona