RE: NDS- Nails

Andrew:

Page 7-6 of "Wood Handbook" (FPS, 1999 printing) states:  "As a general
rule, nails should be driven no closer to the edge of the side member
than one-half its thickness and no closer to the end than the thickness
of the piece."

Section 2510(c)3 of the 1991 Uniform Building Code stated:  "For
wood-to-wood joints, the spacing center to center of nails in the
direction of stress shall not be less than the required penetration.
Edge or end distances in the direction of stress shall not be less than
one half of the required penetration."

There are likely other recommendations, but a reasonable placement seems
to be (1) spacing & end distance no closer than the required penetration
and (2) edge distance no closer than 1/2 of the required penetration.
Considering the length of common nails, the required penetration will
typically be a bit longer than the thickness of the side piece unless
reduced penetration is used -- nail placement would still be based on
required (not actual) penetration for 100% stress.

HTH,
Dave K. Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
979 N. Blackstone St.
Tulare, CA 93274
PH:  (559) 688-5263
FAX: (559) 688-8893
E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com