Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 9:09 AM
Subject: Structural Welding (try again)

I thought I had joined SEAInt, so I sent the following message.  I did not get any messages from the server on this or any other topic, so I re-joined SEAInt after getting back from vacation.  I now appear to be successfully receiving messages, so I'll re-post my original message.  If any of you responded the first time, could I get a repeat response?  Thanks in advance.
-----

I'm working on a renovation of an existing structure.  The building was originally built about 1908.  It has one-and two-way CIP concrete slab floors over steel beams and columns.  It appears as if there was the intention of adding more floors to the building at a later date (this happened to several of the buildings of similar construction in the area).  No plans of the existing structure are available.

At some time between 1908 and now, someone added a three-stop elevator between the basement and the second floor.

Problem 1: This elevator happened to fall centered on a grid, so they simply cut the beam and supported the free end on the shaft wall.  The architect wants to remove the wall, infill the floor opening, and make it someone's bedroom.  There isn't enough room to add another full-length beam under the existing one.

Solution: The architect proposed "replacing" the missing beam with a simple shear connection to the column and a full-pen weld to the end of the existing beam.  I don't like this, so I'm thinking about taking some detailed measurements and designing a bolted moment connection at the joint.
Any comments?

Problem 2: There wasn't quite enough headroom above the second floor, so they took a torch and cut off the bottom half of the steel beam!!!

Solution:  Since the third floor hasn't fallen in yet, the architect proposed replacing the "missing" T portion of the beam with a full-pen weld.  Does anyone have any other idea?  I'm stumped.

As for the welding idea, where can I get weldability data from that time period?

Jason W. Kilgore, P.E.
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com
(816) 444-3144