[no subject]

Charlie Carter wrote:

>Richard is Ralph M. Richard, Emeritus Professor of Optical Sciences at the
>University of Arizona. That title fools me a bit in that I know of him as
>civil engineer and perhaps the world's leading expert in finite element
>analysis.

Dr. Richard is indeed a structural engineer.  He was one of my grad school
professors in the early 80's.  In 1986 he was awarded the T. R. Higgins
Award by AISC for his research in single plate shear connections.  When I
was one of his students, he was heavily involved with the Optical Sciences
department doing work on how to support telescope mirrors to reduce
distortions caused by deflections in the mirror.  These mirrors are huge,
sometimes more than 10 feet in diameter, and can weigh several tons.
Perhaps he is doing that type of work full time now.  Maybe Roger Turk
could fill us in.

--Kipp A. Martin, S. E.
  MWH Americas
  Portland, Oregon