Ralph Richard (was Richard factor)

Thanks, Kipp,

I was waiting for Ralph Richard to fill Charlie Carter in on the details.
The last that I knew, he or one of his partners does subscribe to the
listservice.

Ralph came to the University of Arizona Civil Engineering Department in the
early 1960s when I was doing graduate work.  He is still as enthusiastic
about engineering today as he was the day he came to the U of A.

Ralph Richard had a dual position at the University of Arizona as a Professor
of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics and as a Professor in Optical
Sciences.  About 10 years ago, when early retirement was being encouraged,
Ralph took early retirement from the Civil Engineering and Engineering
Mechanics Department, but kept his position with Optical Sciences.  I did not
know that he has since retired from Optical Sciences as he still has an
office there.  He is also still very active in structural engineering and is
one of the developers of the slotted beam seismic connection.

Now, I'll foist any corrections off onto Ralph Richard <G>.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona

Kipp Martin wrote:

. > Charlie Carter wrote:

>Richard is Ralph M. Richard, Emeritus Professor of Optical Sciences at the
. > >University of Arizona. That title fools me a bit in that I know of him as
. > a
. > >civil engineer and perhaps the world's leading expert in finite element
. > >analysis.

. > Dr. Richard is indeed a structural engineer.  He was one of my grad school
. > professors in the early 80's.  In 1986 he was awarded the T. R. Higgins
. > Award by AISC for his research in single plate shear connections.  When I
. > was one of his students, he was heavily involved with the Optical Sciences
. > department doing work on how to support telescope mirrors to reduce
. > distortions caused by deflections in the mirror.  These mirrors are huge,
. > sometimes more than 10 feet in diameter, and can weigh several tons.
. > Perhaps he is doing that type of work full time now.  Maybe Roger Turk
. > could fill us in.

. > --Kipp A. Martin, S. E.
. >   MWH Americas
. >   Portland, Oregon