Re: Florida PE

The PE Boards have grown to be beaureucratic much in
the same way as many of the government departments.
The intent behind creating an organization to guide
and streamline responsible designs is laudable.
However, the implementation of that intent has left
much to be desired.

At various times there have been cries for having a
single registration for the entire country. However,
the political reasons for holding independent state
level controls have overridden the fundamental intent
for registration. Each state is more interested in
holding on to and, enhancing its own powers than to
help the profession and the public. Of course, every
state has its own share of territorial minded citizens
who vociferously support the state controls.

Even the certification by comity (if one is registered
by a due process in one state, he can get registered
in most other states by filling forms and pay the
required fees) is a typical beaureucratic deal where
the applicant has to spend hours and hours getting the
paper work together. You will be surprised to know
that state boards do not trust each other with the
result that the applicant has to generate all the
basic bio-data from scratch for every application.
When it comes to comity registration, Texas is one of
the worst, going to the extent of asking a foreign
degree holder to have his college courses verified and
accredited from an independent agency, even if that
applicant had obtained his initial registration (and
any more) through the due process of examination for
PE as well as for FE !!

Well intentioned program and poorly implemented:
typical beauracracy.

Rajendran