RE: Steel Fabricator

Title: Message
Thank Jon.
-----Original Message-----
From: Meyer, Jonathan [mailto:jmeyer(--nospam--at)webbersmith.com]
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 7:41 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Steel Fabricator

I spent a few years working for a fabricator designing steel, detailing drawings and troubleshooting problems. The fabricator was not specifically a structural shop, it was more a custom equipment manufacturer, but they did do structures for many of the facilities for which they were making equipment (that's why I was hired). I found it to be an interesting and educational experience. The experience was somewhat different from the traditional design office, but there were many similarities. I also learned a few things about pressure vessels that I may not have had the opportunity to learn otherwise (the shop was ASME certified).

One other note, I would check to make sure that you will be working under a registered PE as you will need to use the experience when you apply for registration. You may also wish to check if the shop is AISC and/or ASME certified.

Jon Meyer
Webber Smith Associates
Lancaster, PA