Re: Florida PE and plan stamping

Quality is a relative term. All of us have seen clients in various shades. What is good enough for one client may be pedestrian for someone else. What is good quality in the eyes of a conscientious engineer may be "cadillac" in an owner's judgment.

One individual cannot immerse himself into all the details of a large project. He has to rely on a team and have trust with some key people in the team. An experienced engineer can quickly browse drawings and calculations and be in a position to judge the adequacy of work performed under his direction. If he has worked on similar projects many times, he may not need more than 5% of total manhours to be satisfied with the end result. Once he affixes his stamp and seal, his license is on the line.

When I was a graduate student at OU, I have helped my professor on his consultancy work.

Rajendran

 GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

In general,  I would not say that having plans stamped by an employee of the firm is any guarantee of quality.

The company I used to work for used college students, working as summer help, to do the design drawings for a major repair project in DC.  The drawings were then stamped by the owner of the engineering company, whose time of the site consisted of two 15-minute visits on the way to somewhere else.

The real loser in this case will be the owner of the building because they will have a hard time selling it, based on the quality of the work.

Gail S. Kelley, P.E.

Do you Yahoo!?