Peculiar Plywood Beams

Gary,

If the beams look like:

   __        __        __
     \      /  \      /
       \__/      \__/

They may be folded plate beams.  I believe that APA has a booklet on
designing folded plate plywood beams.

Looking back at the advanced concrete design course I took in the early '60s,
folded plates are fun to design <G>.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gary Hodgson wrote:

. > I am doing a structural review of an existing fire hall.  These older
. > buildings do not seem to
. > have any drawings, as they were often built by volunteer firefighters and
. > the local community
. > donating time and materials.

. > The roof consists of plywood bathtub beams.  The top flange appears to be
. > ±3/4" plywood, the
. > bottom flange appears to be 1/2" thick plywood x 6" wide and the slanted
. > sides of the "V" are
. > ±1/4" x ±13" deep.  Each trough or beam is spaced at ±16" centres.  I am
. > not sure how to check the
. > design of this creature.  Has anyone run across a similar situation?

. > My dimensions are not very good because the only hole for inspection was
. > near a heater.

. > Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
. > Niagara Falls, ON