latitude and longitude

Tripp Howard's questions reminded me of a problem I've had for some time
now.

Does anyone know of a way to get the latitude and longitude for an address?
A free web-based search would be preferable, but a inexpensive purchased
software package will also work.

Several map sites (www.mapblast.com, for example) used to provide this
information.

----