Re: Florida PE-Bureaucracy

I don't think that he is expecting anyone to look up his records.  He is
making the reasonable (in my opinion) expectation that if one state
reviews and accepts the records that he supplied after chasing them down
that other states would accept him getting a license in this one state as
proof of his education being adequate.  Now, it could be a reasonable
position that a second state may believe that the first state did not do
an adequate job of verifying the education.  It could even be a reasonable
position that a third state may not believe that the first TWO states did
not do an adequate job of verifying the education.  But, to me, by the
time you get to a fourth, fifth, and so state, it is no longer reasonable
to believe that the education has not be properly verified.  You have
definitely reached a beaucratic level.  Personally, I believe that you
have reached that level at the second state, but leave some room for
others to disagree with me.  But I cannot be convinced that there is a
rational reason for a foreign educated engineer to have to prove his
education to four or more states instead of having those states accept
that the previous states "got it right".  I also believe this for
experience verification and for verification of education for American
educated engineers (all state that I am aware still require transcripts).

In others words, the point is that if you have a PE license, then
supposedly your education and experience have already been verified.  And
since basically all states have essentially the same requirements (with
minor tweaks) for a PE license, then one state verifying the education and
experience and granting a PE license should be good enough for the other
states.

After all, when you want to drive in the state next door, do you have to
go through the whole process (or virtually the whole process) of getting
your driver's license in that state?  No.  In my case, the state of Ohio
assumes that Michigan did its due diligience in granting me a driver's
license and accepts my Michigan driver's license as being good enough.
And I don't even have to pay another fee to Ohio to drive there like I
would if I wanted a PE license in Ohio.  And I have a higher probability
of causing someone harm while driving than I do in practicing engineering,
so the two licenses are at least in the same "ballpark" in terms of reason
of their existence (i.e. protect the health and welfare of the public).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI