Structural System Determination

Title: Message
Who typically selects the structural system that will be used for a building structure?  Does it come from the Architect, CM or owner?

I know it varies based on several factors but I just wondering who typically specifies it.

Also, I'm picking a thesis topic at Villanova and the answere to this question will help me out alot.  Do consultants generally specialize in one type of sytem when it comes to building and industrial structures ie. steel frame, prescast concrete, cast in place concrete floor systems and frames, masonry?

What usually governs the selection of a structural sytem and what is usually used in the Northeastern part of the country and in the rest of the country for that matter.  I know (or think) concrete fairs better in the drier, non freezing areas, CMU does not so well in the wet freezing areas, and steel has fire proofing requirements.

I would appreciate input based on your experiences.

Thanks,

Thomas W. Bodkin, E.I.T.
Carroll Engineering Corporation

tbodkin(--nospam--at)carrollengineering.com

Phone: 215-343-5700 x360
Fax: 215-343-0875