Re: FRT Engineered Wood Products

Emery,

We do not recommend our products be fire retardant treated. The history of FRT treatments has shown that the treatments can degrade the wood fiber when exposed to elevated temperatures, such as in an attic/roof application.

Some of the newer generation treatments are supposed to be vastly superior to the previous formulations, but Trus Joist still does not recommend treatment.

Does your application simply have to be FRT treated or are you looking for a specific fire duration? TimberStrand LSL is available in 3 ½" widths and Parallam PSL is available in up to 7" widths. These thicker sections will obviously exhibit higher fire duration due to their thicknesses.

Mike Perakis, P.E.
Trus Joist
Great Lakes Regional Engineer

>>> EmeryO(--nospam--at)ckcps.com 01/07/03 05:06PM >>>

Does anyone know if FRT (fire retardant treated) engineered wood products
are available?  I am looking a product that may be used as blocking, such as
Timberstrand LSL.   The application will be joist blocking/ rim board
material.  Trus Joist Macmillan indicates that their products should not be
fire treated.

Thank you,

Emery Ojala, P.E., S.E.