Re: grad students as cheap labor

Matt,

I wanted to offer a comment.  From my experience there is rarely a project
that is truely "university funded".  Virtually all research projects are
funded by outside sources.  In the case of our profession, the "major"
projects (which you might be considering as the "university funded"
projects) are funded by an agency of the federal government (i.e. NSF or
maybe FHWA) or a state DOT or a major techinical/trade/engineering
society/organization (like PCA, AISC, etc).  Typically university funds
are used for the teaching aspects or overall facilities for research, but
no individual projects.

This is not to say that projects are not indirectly "funded" by the
university, because they are.  Typically, new professors (i.e. new hires)
are provided with a "startup" fund that is meant for the purposes of
acquiring some new equipment for their potential research area.  While
this fund is no huge, it can buy some the testing equipment that might be
used in the future (such as load actuators, data acquisition systems,
etc).  Additionally, the university may contribute some overall budget for
the operation or even some initial capital for the creation of a major
lab.  Typically, though initial capital for the creation/construction of a
major lab comes by way of donations from outside sources and possibly some
grant/funding from the government (NSF I believe provided some of the
initial funding for the three regional seismic centers at SUNY Buffalo,
Illinois, and Berkeley...at least that is where I THINK they are now).
The university will typically provide some money for the operation of the
lab and also provide money for lab equipment _IF_ it will be used for
teaching/classwork purposes.

Still, many large pieces of testing equipment are purchased through a
project funded by an outside organization.  These projects may seem more
official largely because when you get money from a government (state or
feds) there are typically LOTS of forms to complete.  And I suspect that
the university wants such things proceeding through some official central
research group (so they are at least aware of it).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI