RE: Headed Shear Studs

>Can I weld headed studs thru metal deck
>where the beam top surface has been
>previously primed? Rather than to burn
>individual holes in the deck, burn (or
>wire brush) the paint off and then weld
>the stud, I would prefer to do it in one
>operation. Is that possible?

Some stud welding equipment manufacturers claim their equipment has enough
power to burn through paint, but most often, the paint will interrupt the
flow of current that is necessary to get the penetration into the steel. So,
I'd first check with the equipment manufacturer (assuming you can determine
what equipment will be used). If they tell you it can be done, then I'd weld
a bunch of studs and do the hammer bend test on them to prove it.

That said, it is likely that you will not be able to just burn through in
the stud welding operation only.

Charlie