Re: Mat Foundation

PCA Mats does not calculate or display beam shear forces.   At least this
was true through version 5.    I think SAFE calculates shear, but based on
the finite elements that are used.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso, CA

                      "Kestner, James W."
                      <jkestner@somervill      To: "SEAINT" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                      einc.com>
                      01/09/03 09:45 AM        cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  Mat Foundation

I am analyzing a mat foundation, supporting 4 columns, by the FEM with
compression only springs on Visual Analysis. Moments are pretty straight
forward. Punching shear can be calculated by hand. Beam shear varies widely
from the "hot spots" near the columns to other locations. ACI formulas
figure an "average" beam shear over the width of the entire mat which would
be quite a bit different then that at the "hot spots".

I have a hard time believing that beam shear is even an issue but I want to
get some opinions on how others handle this on generic FEM software other
than SAFE or MATS. How does SAFE and MATS calculate beam shear? Is it an
"average"?

Jim K.

the views of the company.