From: Andrew D. Kester [mailto:andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 4:48 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: maps, grad students as cheap labor

I am not that far out of school, and it would tick me off if I went to my
professor's office during normal hours and he is in there with his grad
student giving him his latest private project to do. TAs and the like are
for research, teaching, grading papers, etc., not cheap labor as part time
consultants. And they do rob us consultants if they are taking jobs based on
an hourly rate of zero, or worse, using time that the school has paid the
TAs for. Also, my professors seemed distracted enough and were hard enough
to sit down with, I can't imagine if they were acting as consultants too.
NOW, conversely, in their free time, when they were not required to be in
their office, or in the eveninings, or on their off days or whatever, I
would actually like them to do some consulting work to help keep them
current. I guess that is somewhat of a paradox. And if they properly pay
their grad students for supervised design work, that would serve the grad
students well to give them experience and extra cash.

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL