From: Mark Geoghegan [mailto:structuraltech.vsl(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 4:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Elevated post-tensioned slab cracks

Oshin,

Now that you state there is water leakage out of a tendon pocket and effloresce you should probably read one of Gail's papers on unbonded PT evaluation - she more than adequately covers issues regarding evaluation for potential corrosion related issue to unbonded PT structures, water leakage and more. This structure may warrant some limited-scope invasive investigation for possible corrosion damage.

Just curious, what year was the structure built? Was it heat-sealed strand, or extruded? If you do not know, you should possibly find out.

To rely upon catenary action as a justification for ignoring the cracks, you may be on your own there - ACI 318 nor UBC code does not address it. Have you noticed any excessive deflections?

Mark Geoghegan

Honolulu, HI