2001 NDS revised provisions for ignoring shear loads

Fellow Engineers:
Can someone explain to me the rational for the revised
method to calculate beam shear in the vicinity of a
support, dimension d, for a concentrated load? Is it
only used with the new values of allowable shear
stress? Can I still ignore loads closer than d if I
use the older allowable shear stress?
Thanks,
Irv