Re: Bridges

----- Original Message -----
From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)alaska.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:34:52 -0900

I remember some of the bridges over the Hudson River north of New York City would charge if you were driving east towards Vermont, but not if you were going west.

There's a story behind that.  Around 20-25 years ago, tolls across the Hudson in NYC (and between Staten Island and New Jersey) were collected in both directions.  Then the transportation agency had a labor dispute to deal with (I'm not sure if it was a union job action or something else). Management responded by doubling the tolls but collecting them eastbound only.  That practice reduced the number of managers needed to man the tollbooths.  But it reduced operating costs and relieved traffic so well that they kept the practice.  As time went on, it spread upriver.
--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles
http://corp.mail.com/lavalife