From: Ray Pixley [mailto:rpixley(--nospam--at)engineer.com]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 8:34 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bridges

----- Original Message -----
From: Drew Morris <dmorris(--nospam--at)alaska.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:34:52 -0900

> I remember some of the bridges over the
> Hudson River north of New York City would charge if you were driving
> east towards Vermont, but not if you were going west.

There's a story behind that.  Around 20-25 years ago, tolls across the
Hudson in NYC (and between Staten Island and New Jersey) were collected
in both directions.  Then the transportation agency had a labor dispute
to deal with (I'm not sure if it was a union job action or something
else). Management responded by doubling the tolls but collecting them
eastbound only.  That practice reduced the number of managers needed to
man the tollbooths.  But it reduced operating costs and relieved traffic
so well that they kept the practice.  As time went on, it spread
upriver.
--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles