Steel Deck Diaphragm

Title: Steel Deck Diaphragm

My question relates to the use of steel deck as a roof diaphragm on a building with Masonry Shear Walls.  My understanding was that normally steel roof deck with no concrete fill would be considered a “flexible diaphragm”.

The Masonry Designer Guide by TMS contains a table (8.4.1) “Maximum Span to Width Ratios for Horizontal Diaphragms to be Considered Rigid”.  According to this, “Metal Deck with No Fill” may be considered rigid if it has a span to width ratio of 2:1 or less.

The IBC states that a diaphragm is rigid unless; “Lateral deformation of the diaphragm is more than two times the average story drift of the associated story determined by comparing the computed maximum in-plane deflection of the diaphragm itself under lateral load.”

Do these provisions mean that metal roof deck can transfer torsional shear provided the proposed building meets the above criteria and of course that the values for diaphragm strength and stiffness and diaphragm chord strengths are acceptable?

I would appreciate if somebody could recommend any reference or resource dealing with steel deck diaphragms, in addition to the “SDI Diaphragm Design Manual” which I already have.  Specifically anything that might deal with a diaphragm cantilevering in plan out from the shear wall and the limitations on this type of potential building plan.

Thank you.

Daniel Souter
Florida