Re: Tongue and groove diaphragm

I am not sure if your building is an apartment or hotel like of occupancy,
but it seems from your description that the light weight concrete is for
floor ceiling fire assemblies, most likely one hour fire rating.  As John
Rose indicated, you really could not condider the light weight as a
diaphragm in this case.  I would be very careful about assigning any value
for shear over 45 plf for tounge and groove planks even when you place them
at 45 degree as used to be in the old codes.  Your best bet is plywood
diaphragms.  the concrete topping would most likely force you to do rigid
diaphragm  analysis which is consistent with code provisions for 3 story
apt. building regardless of the floor system.  I am sure your diaphragm
values will be much over 45 plf and thus, plywood all the way.  As for
staples, I do not conider staples viable in seismic zone regardless of
their ICBO approval for shear values simply because the staples withdraw
very easily under dynamic motion and the fact that the staple itself offers
very little beifit when the wood is all set and dry, shrinkage effects
maifest the pull out of staples in seismic event.  Further you will have a
quality control/ inspection problem any time you use staples.  the real
life issues out there are very few inspectors can see 8 to 10 feet up the
stud wall and roof framing if the staples are in fact installed correctly.
I have seen much to many staples place like air nails, I know most of you
see air nails too. but not something that the inpector could not see.  You
got my Point.
Samir Ghosn, PE
Harris & Asscociates